We aim at educating a new class of managers who will be able to creatively and effectively function in the global electronic economy
All the prognoses and job market analyses show that demand for e-business specialists will be growing, not only in Poland but also in Europe and the USA. Our graduates having studied IT, economics and management will have a competitive advantage on the global job market.
E-business requires the managers to be versatile. That’s why the programme is constructed to meet the needs of a full education in economics and in creating and implementing information technologies in international companies.The graduate will be well-prepared to cooperate with IT specialists and engineers. Having the knowledge of IT and economics they will be natural leaders in interdisciplinary teams responsible for the development of electronic business in companies.
AREAS OF STUDY
The programme is based on two groups of subjects:
* IT, some courses: Information systems, Information technology, Computer programming, Database systems, Digital content management, Business processes in organisations, Advanced internet technologies.,
* Economics and management, some courses: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Law, Corporate finance, Financial accounting, electronic economy, E-business strategies.
The graduates will be equipped with the knowledge of:
* Company management
* Economic aspects of company functioning
* Description, preparation, creation and implementation of information technologies in international companies.
Future employment options:
* Consulting companies
* IT companiesInternational corporations
* Local administration
* EU administration
It is 1918. In an independent Poland, newly liberated from foreign rule, trade starts to develop, and the economy is consolidating. Thanks to a favourable situation in the world market, the region of Wielkopolska is enjoying a rapid development. This creates a need for a school which would train – theoretically and practically – highly qualified workforce for industry, trade and services. The idea to start an educational and research institution of an academic character is taken up by prominent figures of Wielkopolska’s business community.
1925In July 1925, thanks to efforts by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry and Poznań’s Education Office, the resolution is adopted to found a commerce-oriented higher education institution. Work on the school’s statute and curriculum commences. The starting point is documents and organisational structures of similar colleges of commerce in Europe and in America. The school’s director, prof. Leonard Grabisz, is selected through a competition.
1926On 12th October 1926 an official inauguration of the first academic year at Wyższa Szkoła Handlowa is held. The first classes take place in a three-storey art-nouveau house in Marcinkowskiego Avenue. It is a private school with a three-year curriculum, but without the right to confer professional titles or academic degrees.
New university building is constructed at the heart of the city, in the area that used to be a moat surrounding Prussian defensive walls. The building is impressive and its facade is decorated with eight towering columns. The facility was put into use on 1 July 1932 (dedication took place on 12 November, on the day of inauguration of the academic year 1932/1933).
To this day, the Main Building of the University glamorises one of the central streets of Poznan - aleja Niepodległości.
1938The founders are arranging for WSH to acquire the status of a higher education institution. Efforts to improve the school’s infrastructure, to attract the required number of professors, and to gain the right to award the master’s degree end in success. In October 1938, WSH is renamed Akademia Handlowa.
At the same time, in the very heart of Poznań, a new building of the school is being constructed on a plot of land received from the government, once the site of a moat surrounding the city walls. It is an imposing edifice with grand corridors and a façade decorated with eight tall columns. Even today, the University’s main building lends splendor to Niepodległości Avenue.
1945The outbreak of World War II suspends the school’s activity. However, as early as 1945, its buildings fill up with students. The same year sees the beginning of an organizational and academic expansion.
1946In 1946 the Szczecin campus (Akademia Handlowa in Szczecin) commences its work, being the first higher education institution in the Western Pomerania region.
In 1950, the school is nationalised and renamed Wyższa Szkoła Ekonomiczna (WSE).
In 1974 the school is given yet another name – Akademia Ekonomiczna (AE) – together with the right to award Master’s, doctoral and post-doctoral degrees.
Construction of a new PUE building - Collegium Altum - took 12 years. The facility consists of 22 floors with 485 rooms and 43 classrooms. The height of the building designed by Lech Sternal, Witold Milewski and Zygmunt Skupniewicz, together with the television mast, is 103.35 m. The red sky scraper is a dominant and representative element of the urban landscape of Poznan. As the building is located in the city center, the 18th floor offers a view on the whole panorama of Poznan and the surrounding area from the four corners of the world.
The 1990s bring with them a fundamental political transformation. A market economy prevails, and free movement of goods is again possible. We see the return of profit orientation and effective resource management. A company’s success depends again on the ability to interpret demand trends, monitor the firm’s financial standing and environment, and choose the right directions of development. In response to the changes taking place, AE develops a modern curriculum, based on a diversity of specialisms and forms of instruction. The school introduces entirely new curricula and syllabuses at all levels of education; its study process is modelled on that used by Western universities. The number of professors is growing rapidly, and cooperation with many foreign universities is initiated.
In response to the growing number of students and the demand for better equipped classrooms a decision is made to build a new building. In 2002 the University is given a plot of land at Towarowa street 55, with a total area of 2761 sq m. In 2003 a public tender is announced for the project of the new building which bears the name Centrum Edukacji Europejskiej (Center for European Education). 53 projects have applied. The competition has been won by Autorskie Studio Architektury „ATRIUM” – Marian Urbański from Poznań. The building also changes its name into Centrum Edukacji Usług Elektronicznych (Education Centre for Electronic Services) and it will house the Faculty of Informatics and Electronic Economy with its departments:
Department of Mathematical Economics, Department of Information Systems, Department of International Logistics, Department of Information Technology
In 2006, following the guidelines of the Bologna process and the principles of the European Higher Education Area, the school introduces three-cycle studies. Simultaneously, it expands and strengthens its academic potential, obtaining six authorisations to award doctoral degrees.
On 27th December 2008, AE officially receives the status of a university and acquires its present name – Poznan University of Economics.
At the initiative of prof. Jerzy Trajkowski, a group of University’s employees asked the authorities to set up busts of two professors who had been especially meritorious for the school. The statues were to be put on platforms on both sides of the entrance stairs. The academic community decided that the busts should represent prof. Edward Taylor, founder of the so-called Poznań School of Economics, and prof. Zbigniew Zakrzewski, long-standing Vice-Rector and Rector of the University of Economics and the author of numerous books and publications about Poznan.
The sculptures were made by prof. Wieslaw Koronowski, head of the Department of Sculpture at the University of Arts in Poznan. The castings were prepared by Piotr Szmyt.
The official unveiling of the monuments took place during the 85th inauguration of the academic year.
The official opening of a modern building - Educational Center of Electronic Services – was held on 25 February 2015. The 15 000 m2 building is located on Towarowa. The facility includes 12 classrooms (with 50, 80 and 100 seats), several computer labs with five datacenters, and three auditoriums with nearly 280 seats each. The appearance and a facade of the new building of the Poznan University of Economics refer to the surrounding buildings. The designers came up with some interesting architectural solutions. A large part of the walls and internal columns was made in the technology of architectural concrete with specially selected recipe. The construction took 3300 m2 of sand stone and granite, 5500 m2 of glass, 10 thousand m3 of concrete, 1,500 tonnes of steel, 78 km of structured cables and 62 km of cords and heavy current supply wires. The facility is home to the Department of the Faculty of Informatics and Electronic Economy.
The new PUEB logo consists of two components: an emblem and full name of the university. It is a colorful digital and graphic composition in the form of a horizontally-cracked ring with a filled central area. The inner surface of the emblem is a drawing situated along the vertical axis of the ring. The drawing symbolizes the hat and the caduceus of Mercury – the mythological patron of trade and economics. The caduceus is depicted in a conventional form of its symbol – the staff entwined by two serpents, topped by a pair of wings. In mythology, the caduceus was a symbol of peace and trade. It is also a symbolic staff of heralds and messengers. On the emblem, the caduceus is symmetrically divided by the number 1926 – the year of the University’s founding. The new emblem manifests long tradition of the University, indicates its identity and the main area of research and didactic activity (economic sciences).